Sunday, March 9, 2014

Lent -- Day 5 of 40 (Pie, ponies, and a mule)


Some insights I gained this morning from a wonderful day both at Sunday School and church this morning.

We are reading book called “OneMonth to Live” and today’s lesson talked about how we need to act the same in each and every aspect of our lives. We don’t need to compartmentalize how we act. If we are nice in one place we need to be nice everywhere. This hit home with me because of Luke’s “wanting to be nice” comment. Today when Mary Flynn wanted him to do something and he wasn’t the “nicest.” I told him (from what I learned in Sunday school) that if he was going to proclaim to “want to be nice,” he had to be nice all the time. And he is on quite the roll of being an obedient child and so super sweet. When Reed pushed him out of the car this morning in the church parking lot (opposite of being nice), and proceeded to lie about it. Then once they were both crying, I made Reed say he was sorry, and hug, and Luke (in probably the sweetest voice ever), said, “It’s okay Reed.” I still think I’m at the end of my parenting knowledge—HELP! (Reed loved me again when I gave him some new basketball shorts that came down below his knees, told me “You are the best!” Can we say love language here?)

SO back to Sunday School…at the end, Claire pulled out a pie diagram (which really make a great illustration of the lesson). One side had all the pieces of pie, church, co-workers, friends, sales clerks, family, and she asked us how we acted and how we treated people at each of these places. Then she flipped it over and all the pic pieces had God at the center, so when you took a bite of pie, God was the first bite.

And Bro. Mike’s sermon was also great! It was called “Don’t be a Mule” and I knew it would be good. I had the privilege of doing children’s church (and thought about using Claire’s pie) but decided to use one of the “My Lil Ponies” Mary Flynn and I got from my mom’s yesterday (she kept all of them, which was so much fun…brushing their hair really is therapeutic).
(insert pic of my lil pony that I cannot get to upload, but I will try tomorrow b/c it makes me laugh out loud every time I look at it)
Anyway, I focused on verses 8-9 and we talked about how if we listen to what God has to teaches, we don’t need a bridle like a horse or a mule. And then (in only Bro. Mike fashion) he came full circle and talked about how “Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven.” How we need ask for forgiveness and we will have that burden lifted. And not to hold onto it like a stubborn mule. We don’t need a bridle, like a horse or a mule, we have Christ to take our sins away and to teach us and to “consel us with His loving eye.”  We didn't talk much about verse 7, but I love that David says "you are my hiding place." The book by the same title, by Corrie Ten Boom, is one of my favorites.

Psalm 32

Of David. A maskil.

Blessed is the one
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord does not count against them
    and in whose spirit is no deceit.

When I kept silent,
    my bones wasted away
    through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
    your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was sapped
    as in the heat of summer.[b]

Then I acknowledged my sin to you
    and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess
    my transgressions to the Lord.”
And you forgave
    the guilt of my sin.

Therefore let all the faithful pray to you
    while you may be found;
surely the rising of the mighty waters
    will not reach them.
You are my hiding place;
    you will protect me from trouble
    and surround me with songs of deliverance.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
    I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
Do not be like the horse or the mule,
    which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
    or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked,
    but the Lord’s unfailing love
    surrounds the one who trusts in him.

11 Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous;
    sing, all you who are upright in heart!



Now the children are off to the grandparents for spring break and I am finishing up 1/2 made sewing projects! Three pairs of shorts and 2 dresses for Mary Flynn.


Day 5 -- DONE (and made it under the wire at 11:48 p.m.)

Cross references:

  1. Psalm 32:1 : Ps 85:2; 103:3
  2. Psalm 32:2 : S Ro 4:7-8*
  3. Psalm 32:2 : Jn 1:47; Rev 14:5
  4. Psalm 32:3 : S Job 31:34
  5. Psalm 32:3 : Ps 31:10
  6. Psalm 32:3 : S Job 3:24; Ps 6:6
  7. Psalm 32:4 : 1Sa 5:6; S Job 9:34; Ps 38:2; 39:10
  8. Psalm 32:4 : Ps 22:15
  9. Psalm 32:5 : Job 31:33
  10. Psalm 32:5 : Pr 28:13
  11. Psalm 32:5 : Ps 103:12
  12. Psalm 32:5 : S Lev 26:40; 1Jn 1:9
  13. Psalm 32:6 : Ps 69:13; Isa 55:6
  14. Psalm 32:6 : Ps 69:1
  15. Psalm 32:6 : S Ex 15:10
  16. Psalm 32:6 : Isa 43:2
  17. Psalm 32:7 : S Jdg 9:35
  18. Psalm 32:7 : S Ps 9:9
  19. Psalm 32:7 : S Jdg 5:1
  20. Psalm 32:8 : S Ps 25:8
  21. Psalm 32:8 : Ps 34:11
  22. Psalm 32:8 : Ps 33:18
  23. Psalm 32:9 : S Job 30:11; S 39:10; Jas 3:3
  24. Psalm 32:10 : Ro 2:9
  25. Psalm 32:10 : Ps 4:5; Pr 16:20
  26. Psalm 32:11 : Ps 64:10

 

No comments:

Post a Comment