Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lent -- Day 11 of 40 (or something like that) (saved)

Saved...

That is what I woke up with on my mind this morning. Saved. Saved means so many things. 

We are saved by grace (thank you Jesus).

We save money. We save time. We save ourselves from lots of things and for lots of things. 

I have been saving ideas for this blog for years in the back of my head and I hope they are still in there because I have a bunch more posts to write! EEK! But I know they will come. 

If we want to save our life, we must surrender it to Him. The gospels all mention this so I know it's important. Luke 17:33 says "Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. We must let go of all of those worldly things.

I loved the sermon that Jeff delivered Sunday with text from Haggai (i was like, where is Haggai) (no, I did not go to Bible college and we did not have Bible drills...just being honest) (thankfully our scripture reader let us know it was three books back from Matthew...now I will never forget it!!)

Haggai Chapter 1When the Jews were finally able to go back to Jerusalem, only 15,000 of them went and they started building the temple and got the foundation built and stopped because they got busy doing other things (hello, me?!). The people lived in "paneled houses" and God's house was unfinished. They were called to renew their covenant with God. 

Itsn't this just like us --- to start something and never finish. Finally Haggai told them that God was with them and they needed to get to work for God and finish building temple. 

This reminds me of the MTV show "Rob and Big" where Big was always wanting them to "do work." Loved him. Anyway, we need to be doing work for God, no matter what we have going on in our lives. 

This goes right back to my "Circle Maker" quote that says " work like it depends on you, and pray like it depends on God." Haggai confirms this statement. Isn't God amazing? And just like Day 3 says, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do AMAZING things among you!" from Joshua 3:5. HE will!!! 

He also mentioned this list from A. W. Tozer of rules to remind us of what we do and WHO it serves:

Rules for Self Discovery:
1. What we want most;
2. What we think about most;
3. How we use our money;
4. What we do with our leisure time;
5. The company we enjoy;
6. Who and what we admire;
7. What we laugh at.” 
― A.W. Tozer

This post is a little all over the place, but that's the kind of day it's been. I can honestly say!

No comments:

Post a Comment