Friday, June 18, 2010

Things of this World

Rob and I went to Bible Study Sunday night and I got slapped in the face. I can become obsessed with THINGS -- THINGS of this world -- and it is horrible! TV shows that clutter my mind with garbage, silly drama, and stuff that I really don't have time to worry about. We touched on a verse, 1 John 2:15, which reads,  

 "Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you." 

Well, then we went to the evening church service where Matthew Clark
(who grew up in our church AND who is music director at The Orchard in Oxford) and his friend Katie Heckel (on staff at Delta State's Wesley Foundation) shared wonderful music they had written (I was moved to tears and am about to download her CD). Katie shared her story of visiting and helping raise funds for the Rafiki Orphanage in Ghana. Children (orphans) in this country are sold into slavery at very young ages and beaten nightly for things like not setting a table correctly. 
All I have to say is, I should be ashamed for ever thinking I need one stupid THING!!  
Help me Lord!!


Well, I thought about myself. I am giving up all those horrible shows (esp. everything with the words "Real Housewives" -- these women are horrible to each other), and using that time to spend praying and studying God's word. Our Sunday School teacher, Claire, gave us a folder several months ago teaching us to pray scripture over our children over 44 days and repeat it. I started this and never finished. I'm starting over! REVELATION -- how much more important is it for us to pray for our children and others we know need prayer, than to watch garbage on TV. And what a blessing knowing that I didn't waste hours (upon hours, upon hours) filling my mind with "the things of this world" and I spent it with God, praying for my personal relationship with Christ, my children, my husband, and anyone/anything else who needs it.





Needless to say, I've been convicted -- and I'm praying for endurance, faith (of a mustard seed can move mountains you know) to make me aware of Christ in my life at every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment