Thursday, October 11, 2012

From pumpkins to eternity

Yesterday I taught the 1st and 2nd grade girls for their Wednesday afternoon church activities and it was such a blessing. We carved pumpkins and talked about how being a Christian was like being a pumpkin. As an afterthought several months ago, I had saved a little piece of paper off of the floor that was once a paper plate that one of the boys had made into a pumpkin at school then, once home, tore into a million little pieces, save this piece of paper on how being a Christian was like being a pumpkin. When Laura asked me to do the lesson for her I thought that would be so much fun and a wonderful message for these girls. And this was it:
 
Being a Christian is
like being a pumpkin
God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off of you.
He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out ALL the yucky stuff including the seeds of doubt, hate, & greed.
THEN, HE carves you a new smiling face and puts HIS lifght inside you to SHINE for all the world to see!
They were totally grossed out by all the "yucky stuff" inside those pumpkins, and I told them that is what it feels like for God when we sin, yucky!!! fter our class these girls prayed the sweetest prayers for others, for each other, and for people to see their lights shining! I was so touched by them -- such sweet, beautiful spirits!
Well, of course when we got home the boys and Mary Flynn wanted to carve one too, so we did. Normally I would have said no, but I am so glad I said yes! I am going to start saying "yes" a lot more! So, I got out the little knives and asked them if they knew how being a Christian was like being a pumpkin. And the next conversation is one I will never forget:
Reed: What is a Christian?
Me: Someone who loves God very much, and Jesus lives in their heart and forgive them for their sins.
Reed: I want Jesus to live in my heart.
Luke: I want God AND Jesus to live in my heart...(someone is always trying to outdo the other one)
Me: Well, you have to pray to him and tell him...why don't we say a prayer right now?
Reed: Nope, I am going to wait until I go to bed.
And later when we got into bed, Reed said, "I want to say my prayer first!!" Ususally this is a point of contention because neither Reed or Luke EVER wants to go first. So Reed said, "Dear God thank you for this day. Please come into my heart and help me to be good. Please come into my heart. Help me to have a good day tomorrow. Amen!"
Who knew that simple pumpkin would bring this precious child the key to eternity. Thank you God for this gift that you have given us. Please help Reed to always remember this day and cherish what you have given him and all of us. Grace, forgiveness, mercy, and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment